Don’t Ignore the Signs

According to the National Vital Statistics system, during 1999–2010, a total of 5,149 deaths from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning occurred in the United States, an average of 430 deaths per year. This proves that what you can’t see, can really hurt you.

Natural gas is a colorless, odorless, non-toxic yet flammable substance. An odor is added to help you detect a potential gas leak. Signs of a possible natural gas leak are:

  • A rotten egg odor.
  • Discolored or dead vegetation over or near the pipeline.
  • A hissing, whistling or roaring sound near a gas appliance or the pipeline.
  • Dirt or debris being blown into the air.
  • Persistent bubbles in streams, ponds or wet areas.
  • Flames if a leak has ignited.

 

What To Do if a Leak Occurs

If you suspect a gas leak:

  • Leave the area immediately.
  • Warn others to stay away.
  • From a safe place, call PSNC Energy at 1-877-776-2427 and 911.

 

Remember these additional safety tips when you smell gas:

  • Do not attempt to turn natural gas valves on or off.
  • Do not turn on or off any electric switch; this could cause a spark and ignite the gas.
  • Do not use your telephone, cell phone, garage door opener or a flashlight.
  • Do not smoke, use a lighter or strike a match.
  • Do not start or stop nearby vehicles or other machinery.