Correcting Problems in Your Credit Record

You can pay some else to clean your credit but why when you can do it yourself. There are two ways to dispute your credit record if inaccurate information has been reported against you.

  1. Contact reporting credit agency (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion) or
  2. Contact the provider of the information

Since it is more likely to reach a live person and have human interaction when contacting the provider of the information it is recommended to start with this first. Talking with someone may lead to a solution in a timelier manner. If a solution cannot be reached then contact the reporting credit agency. There are three ways that a dispute can be started.

  1. Go online to the website of the Credit Bureau:
    1. forward=investigattion
    2. Experian-
    3. TransUnion-
  2. Call the Credit Bureau:
    1. Equifax- 800-685-1111 or 888-397-3742
    2. Experian- 888-397-3742
    3. TransUnion- 800-888-4213
  3. Complete an investigation request form (generally comes in the mail with a copy of your credit report)
    1. Always keep copies of backup material
    2. Send all requests certified and request a return receipt.
    3. Credit Bureau must respond to all requests made within 30 days.